Read about all current and relevant news in London!
Finsbury Park Attack: Minute silencefor the one year anniversary of this tragic attack!
A minute’s silence has been held to mark the first anniversary of the Finsbury Park terrorist attack.One man – Makram Ali – died, and nine others were injured when a van was driven into a crowdof people near a north London mosque on 19 June 2017.The prime minister said it was “an attack on all of us” and the community’s bravery “sent a message that terrorism will never succeed”.The silence was held outside Islington Town Hall at 09:30 BST.
Darren Osborne, 48, was jailed for 43 years for murdering 51-year-old Mr Ali after deliberately ploughing into the crowd on Seven Sisters Road during Ramadan. In a speech following the silence, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn praised the response of the community following the attack saying “those who seek to divide us by racism… cannot achieve anything”.”We will be united forever, they will never divide us,” he said. Muslim leaders, Mayor of London Sadiq Khan and other politicians also gave speeches at the event in Islington.
Mr Ali’s daughter, Ruzina Akhtar, said: “Our father, like the victims of most terrorism, was entirely innocent which makes his death in this violent way all the more hurtful. “He was such a peaceful and simple man, he had no bad thoughts for anyone.” Councillor Richard Watts, leader of Islington Council, said: “One year ago, a terrorist attack took the life of Makram Ali, injured many others, and changed the lives of all those affected. “This was a hate-filled, targeted attack, designed to incite fear, but instead of driving us apart it has brought us closer together.
“I have been deeply moved to see our community stand stronger than ever to reject that message of hate and fear.” On Saturday, the Islington Faiths Forum will host a “Great Get Together” in the courtyard of Muslim Welfare House with the aim of “bringing the community together in peace and mutual understanding”. “The way the local community in Finsbury Park… came together and remains so strong together is inspirational”, Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said. “Our strength is our unity.”
Prince Louis to be baptised – 9th July!
Prince Louis, the third child of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, is to be baptised on 9 July, Kensington Palace has announced. The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, will conduct the christening at the Chapel Royal, St James’s Palace, London.
Louis Arthur Charles – to give him his full name – was born on 23 April. The good news for his football-loving dad, Prince William, is that 9 July is one of the rest days in the World Cup. It falls neatly between the potential quarter-final and semi-final dates for England, should the team progress that far in the competition.
Last month, the prince, who is president of the FA, had to miss the FA Cup finalto fulfil best man duties at his brother Harry’s wedding. Prince Louis will be baptised at the same place as his older brother George. Their sister, Charlotte, had her christening at St Mary Magdalene Church at the Queen’s Sandringham estate in Norfolk.
BT fined for 5 million spam emails!
BT has been fined £77,000 by the Information Commissioner’s Office, after it sent nearly five million nuisance emails to customers.
The investigation found that the telecoms company did not have customers’ consent for such direct marketing.
The 4.9 million emails, sent between December 2015 and November 2016, promoted three charities.
BT said it was “disappointed” by the ICO’s decision to impose a fine.
“This relates to emails concerning charitable fundraising that were sent to some of our customers in 2015-16,” it said in a statement.
“There was no financial benefit to BT and minimal impact on customers – in fact, almost five million emails elicited just one complaint
“We are pleased that the ICO has acknowledged that this was not a deliberate contravention of regulations.
“In turn, we have accepted the facts set out by the ICO and have apologised.
“We immediately tightened our procedures when the complaint was originally raised in February 2017 – as part of our robust and ongoing commitment to the highest standards of data management.”
ICO head of enforcement Steve Eckersley said: “Organisations have a responsibility to ensure they are acting within the law.
“Where they do not, the ICO can and will take action.”
He said the inquiry had been prompted by a concerned member of the public.
“We investigated the matter and uncovered the full extent of this activity, which shows how important it is for people to report nuisance emails,” Mr Eckersley said.
The emails promoted three charities:
- BT’s My Donate platform
- Giving Tuesday
- Stand up to Cancer